It is important that Buxton CC safeguards the interests of under 18’s who plan to ride Club Runs (there is a separate system for club Time Trials). Also, we must follow the requirements of British Cycling and Cycling UK regarding under 18’s on Club Runs.
- A Club Welfare Officer (CWO), the young person and, most importantly, their parent/guardian, will meet, ideally in person. This is so that the Welfare Officer can explain to the parent/guardian and young person what is involved in participating on Club Runs, and to ensure that they know the competence and fitness level required for our various runs. It also gives an opportunity to welcome the young person to the club and tell them about club activities.
- Parental consent will be obtained for their child/ward to ride our club runs. This will be in writing, to be witnessed by a club member – probably a Welfare Officer.
- We recommend that the young person initially rides the least demanding of our rides, unless we have prior knowledge or parental assurance that the young person has the ability to participate in other rides.
- The CWO will try to ensure that everyone who is organising or leading Club Runs knows that the young person has parental consent to join our runs.
- This process can be instigated by the Club Secretary, Membership Secretary, other Office holders, ride organisers/leaders, the young person or their parent/guardian.
Just to be clear, parental consent is needed before any person under 18 joins our runs. All ages of rider are welcome on runs, but under 14’s must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. The Club’s safeguarding policy can be found here: